This is a Sangria recipe from a couple of friends with, Pat & Carissa, who make an amazing Sangria--and lucky for us--their secret weapon was bona fide moonshine. But, not to fret, if one can not get a hold of this "illegal liqour" you can alwasy substitute with vodka, rum or brandy (just not all three). Our friend Laura re-created the recipe for her Memorial Day BBQ and, along with her (famous) Deviled Eggs (see post: You Can Devil My Eggs (That's What She Said)) created a BBQ spread to die for. As she said that night, this Sangria is just the right thing to start the night off right.
Note: Since you soak the fruit overnight in the liqour, the fruit will absorb alcohol--and it mainly absorbs the added liqour of choice--so this fruit is potent! This is not a fruit salad for the teatottler.
PAT & CARISSA'S SANGRIA
2 Liter Pitcher
2 Bottles of Wine (Grapey is Best: Purple Moon Shiraz from Trader Joe's is great, $3.99/bottle)
Fruit: Strawberries, Blueberries, Granny Smith Apple, Peach or Whatever but stay away from acidic or citrus fruits such as Oranges or Lemons
8 Shots of Liqour: Vodka, Rum or Brandy (Moonshine if you can get it!)
1 Tablespoon of Ground Cinnamon
3 Large Tablespoons of Honey
Ginger Ale, for Serving
- Cut fruit into small chunks and put in pitcher
- Add wine & liqour
- Take 1 cup of the mixture (sans fruit) and heat over low heat
- Heat the mixture of wine/liqour while adding all Cinnamon and Honey but do not boil!
- Stir over low to medium heat until Honey and Cinnamon both dissolve
- Slowly add the heated solution back to the rest of the wine/liqour
- Allow the wine/liqour & fruit soak overnight
- Serving Time: Spoon Fruit & Ice into serving glass. Pour Sangria to fill glass 1/2 to 3/4 full, then top remaining 1/2 to 1/4 of glass with Ginger Ale. Stir, Drink & Enjoy!