I decided to try making Mushroom soup, the recipe is my own and it turned out wonderfully--very subtle (as is hard for me to attain as I have a penchant to spice up everything) and soothing.
Obviously, you have to like mushrooms for this one. My Domestic Taste-Tester is not a fan, so he didn't like the soup--not much you can do there!
MY MAGICAL MUSHROOM SOUP
About 1.5 lbs of assorted mushrooms: I used Crimini, Portabello & Shiitake, remove stalks. Cut into even pieces.
3.5 cups of Chicken Broth
1/4 of a bottle of Dry White Wine
Handful of Fresh Thyme
A clove of Garlic, chopped
1 large of 2 small onions, chopped
1/3 cup of Heavy Cream
1/4 cup of Salted Butter
- Prep first: cut mushrooms into even pieces, set aside. NOTE: to clean mushrooms--DO NOT soak/rinse in water! The way to clean up mushrooms is with a damp towel or damp paper towel and rub the caps and try to remove as much dark dirt as possible. Somewhat tedious, but soaking with water is, apparently, not good for the mushrooms and therefore not good for your soup!
- Chop Onions & Garlic, set aside, seperated. Throughly wash Thyme and slide the leaves off the stem, set aside.
- In a large pot, turn heat to medium/medium-low and add butter to melt. Once bubbling add chopped onions. Sweat for a couple minutes, then add garlic and all mushrooms. Allow to sweat together (add a little salt) for 5 to 10 minutes until reduced significantly by size and the mushrooms are brown.
- Add Wine and Fresh Thyme. Increase heat and bring to boil. Allow to boil this way for 3 to 4 minutes to burn off some alcohol.
- Add Chicken Broth. Bring to boil once again. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and begin processing the soup in batches.
- Once all is processed, bring on heat again, medium. Taste test. Add salt & pepper to taste as well as cream. Mix and bring to a gentle bowl. Allow to gently bowl for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with toasted bread that has been rubbed with cut garlic clove and sprinkled with Olive Oil.
Serves about 4 to 6.