But nothing got me more excited than something called Puppy Chow. You may have heard of it under a different name, but in Toledo, Ohio, this concoction was always called Puppy Chow and made with Crispix Cereal (not Rice Chex as in other variations, i.e. "Muddy Buddies").
This was my first attempt to make the treat and it was successful! And OH SO GOOD. It really couldn't be easier. Makes a good Bring-to-Work Treat, if you're feeling that generous.
9 cups of Crispix Cereal
1 cup of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup of Creamy Peanut Butter (I prefer Jif)
1/4 cup of Salted Butter (4 tblsps)
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1.5 to 2 cups of Powdered Sugar
1 clean Brown Bag or very large Ziploc Bag
- Count out 9 cups of Crispix and set aside in large mixing bowl.
- Combine Choclate Chips, Peanut Butter & Butter in a Microwave-Safe Mixing Bowl.
- Pop into the Micro for 1 minute intervals. After each minute, stir the concoction with a spatula until melted and not too thick (you want it to easily coat the cereal).
- When it's reached it's desired consistency, add Vanilla. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour over the cereal. Patiently, stir cereal and mixture together "folding" as to avoid breaking the cereal until it is all coated.
- Pour your Powdered Sugar into either Brown Paper Bag or Large Plastic Bag. Add Cereal and shake until all is coated.
- Ideally you would spread this over wax paper to dry. But I just placed it in a tupperware and stuck it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Keep refrigerated when not eating.