Wednesday, March 25, 2009

EASY SALAD SERIES: Frankies Fennel Salad, Take 2

Frankies is one of my favorite restaurants in New York and after more than a year of going there frequently, I still order their Fennel Salad. I tried to make a recreation of this salad when I first started writing this blog (see post: Fennel....Really?)--but now I have a slightly better version that I take to work with me.
*Note: I would love to include Celery Root into this salad, as it is important to the balance of the original Frankies salad--however, I could not find it at my grocery store this time around and, also, be warned, it can be very tough to take apart--there must be a tool out there to help you cut this vegetable, anyone know of one?
K'S "Can't Eat at Frankies Everyday" Salad
Baby Spinach
Small Palmful of Sunflower Seeds (Roasted & Salted)
Palmful of Grated Pecorino Romano
Shredded Carrots
Thinly, thinly sliced Fennel (a quarter of a bulb = 1 serving)
Thinly, thinly sliced Red Onion (a quarter of a small Red Onion = 1 serving)
Palmful of Fresh Italian Parsley
Dressing: Juice from 1/4 to 1/2 lemon + EVOO (use Frankies own EVOO!)
  • Toss Spinach, Carrots, Fennel and Red Onion together with Lemon Juice and EVOO.
  • Top with Cheese and Sunflower Seeds

No comments: