Thursday, March 5, 2009

EASY SALAD SERIES: Taco Salad

Salads are a food paradox because they seem simple and mundane--and are hardly alluring to order in a restaurant (at least for people like me!). But when you eat a really great salad, it always delights and reminds you that this little collection of vegetables, cheeses, fruits and nuts can be heavenly and a great meal in itself.
In this spirit, I tried to make some salads that I found pleasing and easy to make. I made up three different combinations that I think are pretty tasty. The first one was my take on "taco salad"--but I tried to make a bit healthier, without meat, adding a nutritious leaf like spinach, and incorporating the toritlla chip.
K'S TACO SALAD
Spinach
Shredded Carrots
Half of an Avocado, Diced
Roasted & Salted Sunflower Seeds
Crumbled Multi-Grain Tortilla Chips
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Dressing: mix 1 tsp ranch dressing & 1 tsp hot pureed salsa (not chunky)
  • Put the Spinach, Carrots and Cheddar Cheese in a bowl, toss with dressing. Then top with diced Avocado, Sunflower Seeds and Crumbled Tortilla Chips.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I still think about this salad on a regular basis. I think I'll make it this week. ..thanks for posting the recipe!