Wednesday, March 5, 2008

FENNEL......REALLY?

I had never considered a Fennel Salad. Actually, I had never considered a Fennel anything. In fact, I was sure I'd hate that vegetable, as I have heard it tastes like licorice and I really don't go out of my way to eat licorice.

Boy was I surprised! I was inspired by a friend who made us order the Fennel Salad at Frankie's Spuntino: http://www.frankiesspuntino.com/ (their Lower East Side location). Frankie's is known for deliciously simple combinations of high-quality ingredients. I had the Fennel Salad and was so delighted at how much I enjoyed it, I decided to try and re-create it for myself! Fennel, when treated right, has a very refreshing, light and mild taste.



FENNEL SALAD with PECORINO ROMANO

1 Large Bulb of Fennel (only the white party, sliced VERY THIN)
1/2 small Red Onion, also sliced very thin
Half a Sweet Apple, also sliced thinly (optional--not in Frankie's salad)
Juice from Half a Lemon
Fresh Italian Parsley
Salt & Pepper
EVOO to drizzle
Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, to cover on top

1. Slice the Fennel. If you've never used Fennel before, here's the deal: Fennel looks like a giant Green Onion. It's a Root Veggie. Every part of it is edible, apparently, but for this salad we want the clean white flesh from the bulb. When I cut a large Bulb I only ended up using about 1/2 of the meat, because some of it had browned and it didn't seem appetizing. I also cut the Fennel as thinly as I possibly could. Fennel can be a little overhwelming so you don't want a thick piece of it with every bite. Place Sliced Fennel evenly around a large plate.

2. Thinly slice Red Onion. Place Red Onion on top of Fennel, evenly on plate. If you are a fan of onion, use this much, but if you are planning to make out with someone soon, you might want to hold back a little. There should be about 1 slice of Red Onion per every 1.5 or 2 pieces of Sliced Fennel.

3. Also arrange sliced Thinly Sliced Apple on plate (optional).

4. Sprinkle the plate with Salt, Pepper, & Drizzle with Olive Oil.

5. Grate Fresh Pecorino Romano over the top--generous amount.

6. Top with Generous Sprinkling of Fresh Italian Parsley.

*Share with 2 to 4 and enjoy off the same plate!

No comments: