Thursday, March 6, 2008

HONEST TO BLOG

My friend Sarah was lovely enough to have us over for dinner last night and we had a fabulous time! I asked her to share her recipe for Shrimp with Pasta Picante because, "honest to blog," it was delicious!

I first had this dish in Italy when I lived with a family in Tuscany for 2 months. My host mom often made this spicy pasta as an appetizer, but I added shrimp to create a main course. I always serve pasta with a simple mixed green salad coated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of fresh lemon, and a generous amount of salt and pepper, just like my host mom Jean did. For this recipe, I found a similar dish from Rachael Ray’s Food Network site and altered it for my taste and use. Next time I might add a few splashes of dry white wine to the shrimp while cooking.

SPICY SHRIMP & PASTA PICANTE

1 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
Juice of 1 lemon (although my lemon was super juicy so I just used half)
Handful flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
3-5 tsp red pepper flakes
EVOO
4-6 Cloves Garlic, crushed and chopped
Course salt
1 lb Spaghetti, cooked to al dente
½ can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
A few handfuls of fresh peccorino romano cheese, grated

1) Start your spaghetti in salted water.
2) In a large bowl, toss shrimp with a few drizzles (about 3 Tbs) EVOO, a small handful of chopped parsley, lemon, and red pepper flakes (add more or less red pepper to taste… I like it spicy so I usually put at least 4 tsp in with the shrimp)
3) Sautee EVOO with the garlic over medium heat, then add shrimp and cook until pink and fragrant.
4) When spaghetti is cooked to al dente, drain and add about a Tbs EVOO, red pepper flakes (to taste), the rest of the parsley, the diced tomatoes, a squeeze of lemon juice, and the peccorino. Toss to melt the cheese and coat the pasta.
5) Pour the shrimp over the pasta and serve in a large dish… Bon Appitito!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

yay!!! thanks for sharing this, karen! you made my day, honest to blog. and i love that its pink! ;)